In 1870, the church decided that the new vicar of St. Peter's, Oakford, needed a rectory ample enough for his large family, and built the lovely house that stands with 7 acres of woods and gardens on the edge of this tranquil farming land. The front door, which replicates that of the 12th. Century church, bears above it the inscription "Pax Intrantibus Salus Exeuntibus" (Peace for those who enter, comfort for those who leave)
In 1993, a small experimental vineyard was planted with a number of varieties; 50 of each of the white vinifera varieties Siegerrebe, Huxelrebe and Madeleine Angevine , grown on their own roots from cuttings, and Orion, a hybrid grafted on SO4 rootstock. Others, including the red varieties Triomph, Marechal Joffre, Oberlin 595, Gagarin, Kubichevsky, Brant, Cascase and Black Hamburgh were planted in small numbers here or in the conservatory.
In 1997 the 4 acres to the south were planted with 3,500 vines of which 1000 are red, on a Double Guyot training system. The vines are 4-5' apart in the rows, with rows 6 to 7 feet apart (the more vigorous rows have a wider spacing). They have been selected to produce a variety of styles, and in conformity with EC regulations governing the classification of Table and Quality Wines. Half the vineyard is organic.
Most of the vines are growing on a SO4 or Binova rootstock which is well
adapted to the heavy, moist clay/loam.
South West region